Thursday, September 24, 2009

June Wayne

Last night I was informed last minute that there was an opportunity to see June Wayne speak in an intimate setting in Hollywood.  Because June is in here 90's, I canceled class at LMU to see her.  June is a remarkable woman who is responsible for the creation of Tamarind and the livelihood of printmaking in this country. Her tale is long and facsinating.  She tells a tale of being a female artist during The Depression, the influence of the National Endowment for the Arts, and the craft of making the perfect edition worthy lithograph.  Because I had heard her speak before, I felt her very present within my experience at Tamarind. She is a strong,ambitious woman with a warm insightful sensibility. I was very lucky to get to speak to her about my experiences with Tamarind.

1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled across your blog using the "Next Blog" feature on Blogger. I was so inspired the information you presented with this post I went down the rabbit hole of the mighty Google search engine and learned more about June. Thanks for sharing! What a nice read.

    ReplyDelete